Sinus issues encompass a large spectrum of symptoms that can affect the patient’s quality of life and can lead to significant financial burden. At Sonoran ENTA, we are able to appropriately diagnose distinct sinus and nasal issues for specific and appropriate therapies. Therapies are broken down into medical and surgical.
Though there are a multitude of over-the-counter medications available today, the selection and combinations are not so obvious to sufferers. There are appropriate situations for over the counter medications, though prescription medications can still come into play.
Consultation with the Otolaryngologists at Sonoran ENTA will demystify sinus therapy, and appropriate prescription therapy if indicated, including decongestants, antihistamines, nasal steroid/antihistamine sprays, antibiotics, steroids, etc.
Surgical Therapy and Procedures:
Surgery has the goal of opening and draining the sinuses or opening the nasal airway for improved nasal and sinus ventilation. There are multiple surgeries performed by the Otolaryngologists at Sonoran ENTA that are available in a wide range of invasiveness and recovery time.
- ClariFix Cryotherapy– Using cold treatment called ‘cryotherapy’, the ClariFix device reduces your runny, stuffy nose by interrupting the signals these out of balance nerves send. This process in non-invasive and patients will spend about an hour in the office. Most patients will notice an improvement in 2-6 weeks post treatment.
- Goes to the root of the problem: the inflamed nasal lining and underlying nerves
- Delivers cold temperatures to the out of balance nerves in the back of the nose
- Stops the source of the symptoms for lasting relief
- Septoplasty – This is the straightening of the septum (wall between the nostrils) to improve nasal airflow and ventilation to the sinuses.
- Turbinate Reduction – Turbinates are folds of tissues on the inside side walls of the nose that may cause obstruction mechanically. Turbinate reduction is performed multiple ways to the get the same goal of reduced turbinate size and therefore improved nasal airflow.
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) – Sinus surgery goals encompass opening and draining the sinuses (air filled cavities in the head) that may be the source of sinus infections chronically.
- Traditional FESS – This technique is utilized en face of chronic sinusitis that does not respond to medical therapy. This may include a small removal of tissue that is obstructive to the sinus cavity drainage sites, which may include polyps, swollen mucosa/tissue, or bone. Microdebriders are used to resect small amounts of tissue to open the sinuses.
- Balloon SinuplastyTM – A novel technique for select sinus patients, that utilizes small balloons in the operating room or in the office, to dilate the sinus cavity openings in a nontraumatic fashion. A very safe procedure, often used with traditional FESS, called a hybrid procedure. (https://www.acclarent.com/solutions/sinusitis-overview/balloon-sinuplasty-technology)
- Stereotactic CT Guidance – This is a tool used in the operating room, that utilizes a CT scan (x-ray of the sinuses) and creates a map of the sinuses in 3D form for the surgeon to effectively have a “GPS” to follow for the intricacies of sinus surgery. This is used to avoid complications of damage to the brain, eyes, and blood vessels, and allows for a more complete sinus surgery.
- Vivaer Procedure (Aerin Medical Equipment)- This is a procedure done in the office or used in combination with surgical procedures to treat the lateral nasal wall and soft tissue of the septum. This tool and procedure is less invasive than other modalities. Dr. Lara and Dr. Kang are the first Otolaryngologists in Tucson to offer this procedure and have the most experience performing. Click here to read more about this procedure and what you can expect before, during, and after.
- The Celon Elite Method- involves selective thermotherapy to reduce the size of the nasal turbinates. The mucous membrane on the surface of the nasal turbinate which is vital for filtering and purifying the air we breathe, remain intact. This minor procedure can be carried out under local anesthesia. From start to finish, the procedure takes no longer than 10-15 minutes and you can feel a marked difference after just a few days. To read more about the procedure and benefits, visit our Celon Elite by Olympus page.
Read more about Sinusitis